The Springfield Rescue Mission’s (SRM) primary task is to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to God’s Word (the Bible) to those we serve. To preserve the unity of the ministry, we require part-time and full-time staff, Resident Assistants, Board members, and volunteers (engaged in program teaching, preaching or counseling) to subscribe to the Statement of Faith below and refrain from sharing any doctrines that are contrary to it.
- We believe in the Trinity of the Godhead; one God eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son (Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 6:30-32; John 1:1, 14; Acts 5:3-4; Rev. 1:8)
- We believe in the verbal and plenary inspiration of the Bible, which is the complete and inerrant Word of God. (Prov. 30: 5-6; 2 Tim. 3:16-17)
- We believe in the direct creation of the universe and man, by God, apart from any process of evolution. (John 1:3; Heb. 11:3; Gen. 1:27)
- We believe in the deity, virgin birth, sinless life, blood atonement for the remission of sins, bodily resurrection and imminent return of Jesus Christ. (John 1:1, 14; Matt. 1:18-25; Heb. 4:15; Rom. 3:25-26; Luke 24:36-39; James 5:8; Rev. 22:20)
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit through faith in the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ is absolutely essential, and is permanent and cannot be lost once it is received. (John 3:16; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Eph. 1:13-14; 2 Cor. 1:21-22)
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those who are saved unto the resurrection of blessedness in heaven with Christ forever, and those who are lost unto the resurrection of damnation in hell with Satan forever. (John 5: 28-29)
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ and the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life. (Rom. 12:4-5; 1 Cor. 10:17; 3:16; Gal. 5:22-23)
- We believe that the only Scriptural marriage is the joining of one naturally-born man and one naturally-born woman. (Gen. 2:24; 1 Cor. 7:10). We believe that any form of homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, fornication, adultery, and pornography are sinful perversions of God’s gift of sex. We believe that God disapproves of and forbids any attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance. (Gen. 26:8-9; Lev. 18:1-30; Rom. 1:26-29; 1 Cor. 5:1; 6:9; 1 Thess. 4:1-8; Heb. 13:4)
This Statement of Faith is an expression of the cardinal Christian doctrines that are foundational to this ministry of the SRM. In order to maintain and promote spiritual unity within this framework, it shall be understood that the primary spiritual objective of the SRM is personal salvation and the practical application of Biblical principles to daily life.
In matters of faith and practice not specifically mentioned in this document, particularly in controversial areas such as eschatology, healing, speaking in tongues, storehouse tithing, preference of one Bible translation/paraphrase over another, and all other areas where sincere, Protestant evangelical Christians and churches hold differing views, the SRM takes Ephesians 4:14b as our biblical support for safeguarding Mission residents from erring in the faith. We address these areas as needed in the program classes and counseling as part of their overview of biblical teaching (Acts 20:27).
“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:1-3)