The goal of the Springfield Rescue Mission, since 1892, is to meet the physical and spiritual needs of the hungry, homeless, addicted, and poor by introducing them to Christ and helping them apply the Word of God to every area of their lives.
Meeting the Needs
The Springfield Rescue Mission (SRM) is a leader in meeting the needs of the poor and homeless in Greater Springfield. As an Emergency Shelter, Mobile Feeding Program, Rehabilitation Center and Transitional Living Facility, SRM provides food, shelter, clothing, medical attention, Christian counseling, literacy training and advocacy – free of charge. The programs help individuals take meaningful steps toward becoming responsible and productive members of the community.
SRM began as a community outreach ministry located over a laundry facility on Stanford Street in Springfield, MA in 1892. For the next four decades, SRM continued to provide the homeless with services to meet their basic needs.
The Springfield Rescue Mission has been a safe place of refuge for Springfield’s homeless for more than a century. SRM is one of the oldest human service agencies serving the poor and homeless in the Greater Springfield area. In 2017, SRM served 93,917 meals to men, women and children, provided 19,772 safe shelter beds to homeless and recovering addicts, and distributed 64,269 items of clothing to men, women and children through the Clothing and Give-Away Center – all FREE OF CHARGE and without direct government assistance.
Donors' Bill of Rights
At the Springfield Rescue Mission (SRM), we believe in the principle that every friend of the Rescue Mission has the right to know the facts when it comes to knowing what your gifts are helping to accomplish through our ministry.
Every effort is made to keep your accurately informed about how your financial gifts are being used. Please do not hestiate to reach out to us should you have any questions concerning the work at the Springfield Resuce Mission.
As a donor to the Springfield Rescue Mission, who enthusiastically supports the work and ministry, you have the right:
- To know that the SRM will never sell, rent or make available your name, or any other informaiton related to your gifts for the purpose unrelated to the SRM.
- To know how the SRM spends funds available to use and to be made aware of the cases or operations your gifts help fund.
- To know that the SRM is in compliance with federal, state and municipal laws.
- To designate your gift to one of our priority projects.
- To receive a quick response to your inquiries about the ministry's finances and programs.
- To visit our facility and meet with us personally.
- To expect that the SRM will nener use high-pressure tatics to solicit your support.
- To expect that the SRM is efficient, organized and well managed.
- To know that the SRM has an involved and responsible independent Board of Directors that takes its duties very seriously.
- To know that our appeals for funds are truthful and accurate to the very best of our knowledge.